Monday, January 23, 2006

progressive faith blog-con 2006 carnival

Progressive Faith Blog-Con 2006 Carnival


I really don't want to get into the whole issue of "Progressive Muslim" right this minute. I've commented on the subject before. I'll just say that it is mildly annoying to me that the term "Progressive Muslim" seems to have been hijacked by a group of people who are often neither. So instead of refering to orthodox Muslims who are concerned about racism, classism, sexism and other forms of oppression in society, the term tends to be applied to Neoconservative "cultural Muslims". Go figure.

In any case, I would like to do my part to take the term back. For instance, the Progressive Faith Blog-Con is for people of faith who identify as progressive in the first sense but not necessarily the second. Check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dropping by from the carnival. Thank you for the valuable distinction you've made here.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

You are welcome