Saturday, October 22, 2005

allah is in da house

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 47:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should not harm his neighbor, and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should entertain his guest generously and anybody who believes in Allah and the Last Day should talk what is good or keep quiet.


On Soul Musings Alma, a Latina blogger writes about her visit to an open house at the Islamic Center of Iriving:
The controversial highlight of the Q&A session was when a middle-aged white man said, "I don't think a person can be a good American and also a good Muslim. You are either one or the other but not both." You could cut the tension with a knife! Personally, I thought the man was pretty obtuse for making such a blanket statement. The leaders addressed the man with poise and restraint. But then one of the audience members (he was white too but with a European accent) called the first man on his brazen comment. Everyone clapped in support of the European man's comments. I suppose the brazen man was making an effort to learn; after all he did make it to the open house. I do applaud his attendance tonight. Perhaps his mind was changed a bit after interacting with the friendly congregation of the mosque.


Occasionally I think about patriotism and Islam. In my house growing up my parents taught me to value God, Country, and Family (in that order). So where does that leave me when a good chunk of my country's foreign policy involves killing and torturing many of the people who believe in the same God that I do? If being a "good American" means uncritical support of U.S. government policy, I don't see how any person of conscience (Muslim or not) can be a "good American". But personally I find a different concept of patriotism much more relevant. Being a good neighbor.

Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 43:
Narrated 'Aisha:

The Prophet said "Gabriel continued to recommend me about treating the neighbors Kindly and politely so much so that I thought he would order me to make them as my heirs.


Being a good neighbor is emphasized so much that neighbors are almost like family. We should care for our neighbors. Take an interest in them and the community around us. But then extrapolate. From your block to your city to your county, state and beyond. In my book that's what real patriotism is based on. And in that sense, Islam not only permits Muslims to be "good Americans" but requires it.
Bukhari Volume 8, Book 73, Number 45:
Narrated Abu Shuraih:

The Prophet said, "By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe! By Allah, he does not believe!" It was said, "Who is that, O Allah's Apostle?" He said, "That person whose neighbor does not feel safe from his evil."

5 comments:

Shabina said...

Ameen, brotha. If we can't be good neighbors, at least we should stop trying to be *bad* ones.

Ask any non-moz who lives next to a masjid - we clog up traffic, double-park on their lawns, and generally make a nuisance of ourselves and our religion whenever Friday rolls around.

Talk about anti-dawah...(sigh)

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yeah, I remember that the local cops were helping to do security/parking near the islamic center. i guess they figured it would be a nice quiet gig. religious people going to worship.. they should be on their good behavior....

little did they know...

And we should definitely act better on our side...

But I think some of it also has to do with urban planning/logistics type of issues. For example, the local islamic center decided to have two jummah prayers which helps by spreading out the load.

Shabina said...

Yeah, we have two jum'aahs too, but even when we get to the masjid early, we see people double-parking just b/c they don't want to go all the way to the back parking lot (given, it's rough gravel and hell for tires).

I guess in a glass-half-full way, it's good that our Muslim communities are bursting at the seams. Now if only we could get some of the money that's bursting out of our wallets to go toward expansions...

Alma said...

Hello Abdul-halim S. Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and for posting my remarks on yours. I'm famous! LOL! :-)

Ciao!
Alma

Abdul-Halim V. said...

"famoso en tu casa" maybe... lol...