Tuesday, August 16, 2005

the grass is always greener...

Sometimes I wonder if some transgender people are like the Michael Jacksons of their gender? I mean, I'm sure there are many transgendered people who are born physically different or with ambiguous anatomy or unusual hormone levels. But I wonder if for some it has more to do with psychology and experience. For one reason or another, they have such an antipathy to their own sex that they feel a need to switch teams.

Perhaps if you are born a man in a patriarchal society, then "being a man" can bring with it so much responsibility that some people don't want the job and so they quit. The same could be said in the opposite case as well. But to be honest, I don't really know. I'm just speculating. I think in the ideal society there would be mildly distinct gender roles but they would fit together hand in glove. The rights and responsibilities would balance out so that individuals would feel respected, and no one would feel overburdened or exploited.

2 comments:

La Madre said...

i really appreciate you throwing out food for thought on transgender issues.
thank you.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

no problem. for some reason it has just come up alot in my life in the past couple of years. I've met a few people who were definitely transgendered. And I've met some people who I've thought were transgendered but wasn't completely sure about their status. It's made me realize that the phenomenon is alot more prevalent than one might expect at first and it's made me curious about why someone would make the decision to identify in an unconventional way.