Saturday, August 27, 2005

islam in mexico - the spanish conquest

Guadalupe
Someone in my building recently threw out one of those big tall candles to La Virgen de Guadalupe (this one happened to be "rose"-scented) and it got me thinking about certain issues and looking up stuff online (which is how I discovered alot of the recent articles I just posted).

One more such interesting article is a piece on the Spanish Conquest from the website of the Muslim Center De Mexico in Morelos which talks about La Virgen and other religious issues in Mexico.

2 comments:

allaboutgeorge said...

I still smile when I think about the bumper sticker I saw a couple of weeks ago on a car in Berkeley: "In Guad We Trust."

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yeah, from a theological perspective I'd have my reservations about that. But from a "cultural" perspective, I appreciate how folks need to related to God in their own way.