Tuesday, August 16, 2005

decolonized tongue

It is a bit hard to explain exactly what I'm getting at but this past week also made me want to experiment more with finding my own poetic world, my own language and voice. Kind of how Five Percenters or Rastas have their own "language" and terminology. And some poets like Saul Williams or Reggie Gibson have also come up with special terms which set up re-occurring themes in their work across several poems. I think it would be a good way to develop a certain kind of distinctiveness to my writing which I would like to play with for a while. At the same time, I wouldn't want to become susceptible to the criticism: "Just because folks don't understand you doesn't make you deep".

I also want to write more pieces in Spanglish, not just writing pieces in English where I throw in references to yucca and frijoles negros every once in a while, but really make use of both languages, breathing with both lungs so to speak. It should be interesting.

If I have any progress on either of these two fronts I'll probably share the results down the road.

No comments: