Wednesday, May 04, 2005

daniel abdal-hayy moore

abdal-hayy moore ramadan sonnets

Speaking of an American Muslim culture, I think Daniel Abdal-Hayy Moore must have been the among the first American Muslim poets I'd heard of in my life. And his book, Ramadan Sonnets must be the first published book of consciously religious American Muslim poetry I've seen. (But now with the democracy of poetry slams and open mikes things are opening up in all sorts of ways) He seems to have been a "hippie" in his youth who hung out with the Beats such as Lawrence Ferlinghetti (who I actually really like) but was ultimately attracted into Islam through Sufism and actually stopped writting poetry altogether for an extended period of time (10 years) But in around 1980 he "renounced" his renunciation and starting actively participating in the poetry scene again.

More of his works are available in the Deenport poetry section

No comments: