Friday, July 14, 2006

scholars ask why latinos view blacks poorly

Diverse Online: Scholars Ask Why Latinos View Blacks Poorly by Christina Asquith summarizes a 2003 survey of blacks, whites and Hispanics (mostly Mexican) in Durham, NC. The "punchline" is that Hispanic attitudes towards blacks were more negative than white attitudes towards blacks. It would be interesting to see if the same results were replicated in a sample which includes more Afro-Hispanics (Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc.)

5 comments:

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I guess the way I tend to see it, to a large degree, anyone with lighter skin and straighter hair than anyone in my family gets to be "white" especially if that's how they see themselves.

DA said...

It's a complex issue. You already know about my history and origin, but I think yeah,for social purposes if you look white, you are white. On the other hand, several east asians I know aren't much darker than me but will have a harder time being "White" than some "black" people because of their facial features. I don't know about other Latinos,but among Mexicans there's a LOT of downplaying of non-white ancestry. You meet some very dark guys..Who are clearly mainly Indian...Talk about how they're pure Spanish. Race is probably one of the strangest social factors ever.

sondjata said...

having not read the piece yet, the very comments that Da makes probably underscores some black positions regarding illegal immigrants from Mexico.

sondjata said...

Not much different from English speaking Caribbean countries in which the vast majority of people are non-white.

Anonymous said...

My grandmother, from Mexico, lives in a small farming town in CA.

As a teenager, I would tell her I was going to marry a black man, just to piss her off.

It worked :)

But my grandmother, also from Mexico, but living in a much larger city, just wants me to be happy ... so it might just depend on experience