Wednesday, December 21, 2005

invisibility blues

The invisibility of Black Hispanics is a theme which comes up so often it sometimes seems like a cliche (to me anyway). Why aren't there more Blacks in Spanish-language magazines? Why aren't there more Blacks on Spanish television? (Although I have to admit, we are appearing more on Spanish-language talkshows recently... but not necessarily in ways which make me well with pride.) And when I visited the Prado art museum in Madrid several years ago I felt like Buggin' Out from Do the Right Thing, asking myself "Why aren't there any brothers on the wall?"

On that note, George at Negrophile has recently pointed to some pieces dealing with Afro-Latin "invisibility". Where Did Mexico's Blacks Go? deals with Mexico while Blacks in Argentina and Long-Unclaimed African Roots discuss the mystery behind the "disappearance" of the Afro-Argentine population.

No comments: