Tuesday, September 27, 2005

"i guess, michael jackson was right, you are not alone"

Have any of you seen Enemy of the State? It's the Will Smith/Gene Hackman movie where an evil conspiracy within the government makes use of some amazingly intense technology to keep people under surveilance and mess with folks' lives. Well, If you check out Google Earth you can download a free program which lets you access a virtual globe of the earth made from satellite images which has a frightening amount of search and zoom capacity (the resolution varies depending on the part of the world but when it is good you can make out the painted white lines in a parking lot). When I checked my house I was half-expecting to see my mom wave. The program also comes with a wealth of information which helps to distinguish and identify all kinds of landmarks.

8 comments:

Ms. Adams said...

Yes, I saw that movie, and it's spooky enough because it's so possible. I will have to check that page out. Thanks for the info. And thanks for dropping by NJ Spoken Word and for your comment on the poem "Be Drunkards!" :-)

Ms. Adams said...

Let me add, since you mentioned a Google product/service, ;-), this link: Robin Sloan's EPIC.

Lizzie W. said...

So creepy. I downloaded it. You can clearly see Brian's car in his parents driveway, and even what's in his dad's yard.

Deb said...

I know of an RV guy who uses GPS to blog his location to readers. A reader sent him an email saying "there is a restaurant 2 blocks from you that is shaped like an old shoe."

The reader had used Google mapping to locate the RV blogger.

Also....for an annual fee, Google-ites can upgrade the satellite mapping service to zoom in even closer.

I don't recall hearing discussion about the wisdom of this particular technology before it was implemented.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yeah Deb, the current version is free so I wondered what you could get for money. Some friends of mine have told me that the free version uses some old info they were like "hey that driveway is paved now." I guess it makes sense that the paid version would be more up to date and have better resolution.

Agi said...

I wonder what would happen if you try to zoom in on Iraq. The image has probably been censored by the Pentagon and the NSA.

Abdul-Halim V. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Abdul-Halim V. said...

I think they do have Iraq but the images are old. (As they are elsewhere)