Tuesday, October 28, 2008

i voted today

Oh my God, the line was soooo long. The process took about 3 hours from beginning to end. I kept thinking back to tv images of the first post-apartheid Election Day in South Africa when Mandela was on the ballot. I spent most of the time outside, waiting to be let into the Lemon City Library (Miami). Then I got a numbered ticket and was eventually let in. Once inside (which was still 70+ deep), I had to wait for my number to be called before being let into a seperate room where all the voting booths were. Fortunately for future early voters, the governor is extending the poll hours for the rest of the week.

3 comments:

Dynamite Soul said...

I didn't realize you were in Miami. I used to teach at Clara Muhammad School/ Al Ansar.

Sorry to hear that you were in such a long line, but I'm glad to hear it too! Good job!

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yeah, this is my second year out here. And I've gone to Masjid Al-Ansar a couple of times now. I was thinking about helping out at the school there in some capacity but I'm not sure exactly how yet.

Dynamite Soul said...

I'm not sure who the principal is anymore, otherwise, I would give you some info.