Saturday, October 11, 2008

the collapse of the monetarist system

As I mentioned previously, the Murabitun take a pretty hardline stance against usury and the current system of paper money. So it shouldn't be surprising that their leader, Shaykh Dr. Abdalqadir as-Sufi has written a series of pieces on The Collapse of the Monetarist Society.
Read Part 1
Read Part 2
Read Part 3

For another Muslim's perspective on the crisis you can check out Robert D. Crane's somewhat pessimistic (and surprisingly right wing) piece Are There Islamic Solutions for Economic Justice: Or Is the Insanity of Faux Money an Incurable Western Disease?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salaams,
This is probably the only thing I agree with the Murabitun on. Otherwise, I find them quite loony, frankly.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

wasalaam,

I think every group has pluses and minuses. What do you find loony about them in particular?

Anonymous said...

Actually, I instantly regretted that disrespectful quip, which was uncalled for and, besides, not based on solid information as I haven't been exposed them in any way in long time so I'm not in a position to judge. I take that back and sincerely apologize.

Based on some readings and a video from them that I saw while in Europe about a decade ago, I found their rhetoric extreme and a bit, IMO, cultish. Too much machismo and rants against the "kufar" for my tastes, especially for a movement that presents itself as an intellectual vanguard.

I also find this Nietzsche as Muslim thing not only implausible, but politically suspect. A lot of extremists on the far right lionize Nietzsche and German high culture for all the wrong reasons (e.g., elitism a la the Ubermensch, extreme nationalism a la all this 19 century Volk stuff, and all around reactionary social attitudes).

But, again, I was out of line. I should have kept my concerns to myself.

And you're certainly right about all groups having good and bad points. Some more than others, of course, but it's an important thing to reminder.

Taming one's tongue, ever the greatest challenge.