Tuesday, April 11, 2006

pretty white girl singing

This is another personal/cryptic post: If I could find the transcript, I would post it... has anyone out there seen the Dave Chappelle segment where he says his views are so radical the only way he could get his opinions expressed on tv is to have a pretty white girl sing them? (And then for the rest of the segment, he actually hands a series of note cards to the singing white girl standing next to him) I'm not sure I want to get into the details, but if you have the means, I would highly recommend that the brothers out there get a singing white girl from time to time. It might make your life easier. I'm being serious.

5 comments:

rabfish said...

oh my goodness.

don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yeah, me either. Basically I had basically brought certain concerns/criticisms forward and was met with one set of repercussions. While in a different context, a pretty white girl expressed largely overlapping concerns/criticisms and was met with a very different set of responses. The fact that there was a difference at all really disturbs me but if that's what it takes to get a hearing and find some resolution, I'm not going to complain too loudly.

rabfish said...

you're not?

that shit gets me all hot under the collar, but I know it applies to me too--as a person of color I often get heard because I am a petite woman, I look like a young sweet woman, even if I am raging. The ways we get used and read against each other poisen what we are actually trying to say. divide and conquer. it's a long process, and I'm glad you're at least aware of the dynamic, and good luck trying to fgure out how to navigate it with a clear sense of yourself and your right to speak.

La Madre said...

i'll be your white girl. =P

Abdul-Halim V. said...

lol...