Saturday, May 01, 2010

the occasional free-associated afrofuturism roundup...

- One of these days I want to get reconnected to the poetry slam / spoken word scene out here and get back into the habit of writing. When I reflect on my older pieces I tend to view some of it as "Afrofuturistic" (whatever that means) but this summer I want to make the time to develop that more and flesh it out...

- Over at the Manrilla Blog, the post Nafs Ammarah points to some interesting connections between the film They Live and the lessons of the Quran. The post also alludes to some links between Terminator 2 and some events from the biography of Muhammad (saaws).

- Over at Post Black there is a nice interview: What is Afro-Futurism?: An interview with artist/education D. Denenge Akpem

- From the Liberator Magazine: Kodwo Eshun and Afro-futurism



- Above is a clip from the film "The Last Angel of History", an interesting documentary/surreal narrative on Afrofuturistic themes. Maybe by blogging I'm aspiring to be a "data thief"?

- The new Iron Man movie is coming out soon. I wonder how they are going to handle War Machine? Judging from the previews I've seen it seems like he is a fairly small part of the film but maybe I'll be surprised.

- Philosophical question: Is Morris Chestnut's character on the re-imagined V series Black? I mean, he's one of the reptilian Visitors so technically he's not even human but he experiences the world in a Black body. He is also a part of the subversive Fifth Column which has developed human emotions and is in solidarity with the human revolutionaries. I guess you could ask the same question about J'onn J'onzz (played by Phil Morris) or the occasional random "black" Kryptonian characters which have appeared on Smallville (see Vathlo Island). Come to think of, we could even ask the same about the unnamed title character of the film "The Brother From another Planet".


- And just for fun, a different take on Hermes Conrad from Futurama...



No comments: