Wednesday, December 09, 2009

black is the new white

I'm also in the middle of Paul Mooney's memoir Black is the New White. I've been following Paul Mooney's career for a while so, to be honest, I haven't found much of it shocking or new. But it is still a good read. Mooney has some interesting things to say about the racial politics behind the scenes in Hollywood.

The Griot: Paul Mooney's 'Black Is the New White' is an ode to Richard Pryor
NPR's Talk of the Nation: Black is the New White

Planet Grenada's past:
"it makes my teeth white" - paul mooney
"i like a little salt on my cracker"
"homie don't play that"
okay, maybe he was wrong on this one
word association
bamboozled
richards' racist rant
richards' racist rant (part 2)

[Dec 11, 2009]
I also should have added
negrodamus 1
brian gumbel (sic) is looking like malcolm x?
negrodamus 2

2 comments:

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I finished with the book today. The main "new" stuff I learned: Richard Pryor was almost cast as the black sherrif in Blazing Saddles. Paul Mooney wrote Pryor's Word Association sketch which I had blogged on earlier. Paul Mooney claims to have coined the phrase "nigga please". He went to school with Huey P. Newton before he was a Black Panther. He also fist-bumped Obama before he was president.

Unknown said...

Hi! How arew you? My names Bailon and I am from Polland. Yours site is wonderful. Mayby exchange? This is my siote www.magicznerodzenstwo.ownlog.com