Wednesday, January 09, 2008

more on black jews

Over at ChickenBones: A Journal, I recently saw two articles by Adeyinka Makinde which discuss the possible Jewish descent in the Igbo of Nigeria: on the Igbos: A Lost Tribe of Israel? and The Igbo and Jewry. But really, these sorts of articles shouldn't be surprising. As I point out in another post:
...according to the Bible, Jacob (Israel) and his sons went into Africa as a group of 12 households and hundreds of years later they came out of Africa as a nation of millions. Either the children of Israel are really really really inbred or they intermarried with the people around them and became basically an African group. The Bible even explicitly says that Abraham, Joseph and Moses married African (Egyptian and Cushite) women [Genesis 16:3, Genesis 41:45, Numbers 12:1].
I think I need to read How Jews Became White Folks and What That Says About Race in America by Karen Brodkin which has been recommended to me on more than one occasion. There is so much history and politics behind racial classifications and I would like to have a better understanding of how the process unfolds. 

 See also: 

3 comments:

Abu Turab said...

Assalamu alaikum

Hey bro, I have a question to ask you. Would you mind e-mailindg me.

Jazakallah khairun.

masalama

bingregory said...

Abdul Halim, it's downright uncanny to drop by and see this cluster of posts around these things that resonate deeply for me, from congkak to Jewish identity to Grace Boggs on Islam... how do you do it?

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Bin Gregory, thanks for stopping by. I'm glad that you liked. I'm not sure how to "explain" the rest. But I also have connections to Michigan and have heard a lot about Grace Lee Boggs over the years. So the fact that in addition to all her other progressive causes she also incororates some degree of solidarity with Muslims also resonated deeply with me.