Monday, November 06, 2006

climbing poetree

I first saw Alixa Garcia and Naima Penniman (aka Climbing Poetree) a few years ago doing a multimedia spoken-word piece which explored the so-called War on drugs and made some powerful connections between US foreign policy in Colombia (where Alixa is from) and what is going on domestically in terms of the prosecution of drug-related offenses and treatment of prisoners. They do some deep work and I thought I should give them a shout-out.

I saw them perform recently and I got a kick out of seeing them do a piece on hip-hop which started off with Alixa making the very surprising Grenada-esque move of beatboxing while simultaneously playing a set of South American pipes!

I hope you enjoy exploring their sites and think about giving them some support for their work.

Climbing Poetree's main site
Climbing Poetree's Myspace Page

No comments: