Thursday, July 14, 2005

censorship?

Just yesterday the issue of censorship came up for me in a weird way. I drove a friend to a high school where he had to work on a project. And when I got bored I used the high school's computers to surf the internet, check e-mail and actually write a little for this blog. The first time I came to the Planet Grenada front page, everything was fine. But after a few minutes when I tried to come back a bizzare/scary warning message appeared saying that due to content, access to the page would be denied.

It gives me something to think about. On the one hand I want to be free to be edgy and candid and open and critical. I should be able to use all the words in the dictionary (and a few that aren't) if I want to. On the other hand, I do feel that the content of this blog is interesting, informative, positive, and its something that I'd want to share with a large set of people. It feels like a trade-off.

1 comment:

La Madre said...

High Schools censor random things...it may not necessiarly be "language". For example my High School blocked all web pages with the words "graffiti" which it made it difficult for me to work on my senior thesis graffiti as a public art in ohio.

I love your blog, and think it is one of the best (if not the best) Latino blog out there. Plus the blog world was really missing Muslim Latino perspective.