Friday, July 01, 2005

ali shariati

I remember a long time ago (even before I was Muslim) I was reading about existentialism and how Sartre and Camus were atheist existentialists. And Kierkegard was a Protestant existentialist. And Marcel was a Catholic existentialist. And that Buber in some sense might have been a Jewish existentialist. And so of course the natural question was: What would Islamic existentialism look like? Even now, there are some features of existentialist thought which are appealing to me, but not enough for me to sign up for a membership card. And I think few Muslims would even be motivated to call themselves "Muslim existentialists" even if the label fit.(It would probably be seen as sectarian and assimilationist) In any case, to be honest, I still don't think I have a good answer to my question.

Fanon himself was strongly influenced by the existentialism of Jean-Paul Sartre. In fact, Sartre wrote the preface to Wretched of the Earth. Fanon, was from Martinique but of course he ultimately went to Algeria to participate in the revolution in that particular Muslim country.

Sartre was also an admirer Ali Shariati, one of the intellectual architects of the Iranian revolution, of whom he said: "I have no religion, but if I were to choose one, it would be that of Shariati's."

Here is the "official" Shariati website (whatever that means) which contains a sampling of his writings and speeches, a biography and many other resources.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I enjoy seeing websites that understand the value of providing a prime resource for free. I truly loved reading your post. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Really great article with very interesting information. You might want to follow up to this topic!?! 2011

Evan said...

Can you site where Sartre said he admired Shariati? Or even gives any notion of Shariati's existence?

Thanks.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

That's an interesting question. I got the quote from a Shariati website. I don't know of a more specific source. I'll look into it.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I'm still trying to track down the quote in question. There is an interesting conversation on the subject in the Wikipedia talk pages on Shariati:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AAli_Shariati

Abdul-Halim V. said...

From the other direction, here is one dissertation which mentions from Shariati's side, what he felt about Sartre and which at least confirms that they met.

Abdul-Halim V. said...

http://digitool.library.mcgill.ca/webclient/StreamGate?folder_id=0&dvs=1359942980566~637