Monday, March 06, 2006

post-oscar wrap up

So, the Academy apparently gave in to the pressure and the Palestinian film Paradise Now was designated as coming from the "Palestinian Authority".

Argentinian composer Gustavo Santaolalla won best original score for his work on Brokeback Mountain and he gave a thanks to all his Latin peoples.

Crash won for best picture. I thought the film was interesting and better than average but in certain respects it fell short. It did a fair job of discussing the complexities of race relations but the contradiction represented by Matt Dillon's character (being both hero and villain) was too big to swallow. Perhaps a better actor could have made it more palatable, but in the end I think the character, as written, is unbelievable. Other characters from Crash certainly represent varying combinations of virtue and vice but Dillon's character straddles too wide a fence for anyone to sit on convincingly.

I was surprised that Dolly Parton didn't win best song for Travelling Thru from the Transamerica soundtrack. I was impressed by the irony of having a country-style gospel song which talks about being "born again" in a movie about a transgendered person waiting to get their operation.
Instead Three 6 Mafia won the Oscar for best original song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from Hustle and Flow. On the one hand, it is good to see more Black people winning Oscars, especially since Jesus (as) doesn't get enough shout-outs at these kinds of award ceremonies. (And he did get a shout-out, along with George Clooney and their mommas) On the other hand, it is disheartening to vividly see what kinds of roles for people of color tend to get the big prize. (Denzel didn't get the Oscar for Malcolm X, he got it for Training Day. And in another year, Do The Right Thing didn't win best picture, but Driving Miss Daisy did) But maybe I'm being a little paranoid since even the white guys tend to win Oscars for playing crazy or broken men (Charlie, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Rain Man, etc.)

Did anybody else watch the Oscars? What do y'all think?

Alternet: Crash wins!
Al-Jazeera: New Trouble for Paradise Now
Lyrics to It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp
Lyrics to Travellin Thru
Blog for Transamerica (with music)
Good Summary of Movie Award History which isn't IMDB

2 comments:

Baraka said...

Salaam 'alaykum,

I only caught the last half hour as I forgot it starts at 5 pm on the West Coast - still running on EST even after three years in San Fran! 'doh! :/

I thought Jon Stewart was pretty good, though tamer than I thought he'd be. The best song surprised the heck outta me. Not quite the usual dour fare one associates with the Academy.

I wish 'Paradise Now' had won but I think it's a victory for a Pleastinian film about suicide bombers to make it in at all. Did they say Authority? I heard "Palestinian Territories."

A slow night for the average American viewer perhaps but better than average films (many independent) were up for awards which was nice for us.

Warmly,
Baraka

Abdul-Halim V. said...

I expected JOn Stewart to kind of suck. When I watch the Daily Show, I tend to not really get into him. I don't necessarily share his perspective in general.

On Oscar night though, I thought he started off kind of stilted (was probably nervous) but after a bit he loosened up and it got alot better.