Sunday, August 23, 2009

five fingers

I recently saw and was pleasantly surprised by the film Five Fingers. I honestly don't know how I missed seeing it in the theater when it came out (2006). To begin with, the cast is amazing. Laurence Fishburne plays Ahmat. Said Taghmaoui (the perennial movie terrorist who has appeared in Traitor, Sleeper Cell and Vantage Point among others) plays the silent and unnamed Dark Eyes. The Afro-Cuban actress Gina Torres plays Aicha. Colm Meany (better known to some as Chief O'Brian from Star Trek) plays a travel guide named Gavin. And the film centers on Martijn, an idealistic young Dutch pianist played by Ryan Phillippe. I don't want to give anything away but I will say that the film is an impressive psychological drama which provides a layered and complex portrayal of the relationship between Islam and the West.


No comments: