Saturday, March 19, 2005

In da club...

I have to ask myself why I react or feel the way I do when I see other Muslims doing things that I myself do. It gets complicated. Part of it is a certain amount of disappointment. Here is this beautiful deen, and sometimes I struggle with it. But then here are some people who are raised with it and they don't appreciate what they have.

From another perspective, however, we all struggle with it, we all have to do that internal jihad and do the things we know we should be doing, and avoid the things we know we shouldn't be doing. And that situation is the same whether you are raised in a Muslim home or whether you converted.

It's kind of funny though. I've often thought that I'm glad I was raised Christian, and travelled on the train (of thought) I've been on and found my way to Islam. I could totally imagine that if I had been raised Muslim, in the United States, especially in certain schools of "thought", I might have converted to Christianity!

No comments: