Tuesday, June 01, 2010

"drop the bomb"

bp_oil_spill_on_america_3.jpg
This solution had actually occured to me way back at the beginning of the Deepwater oil spill but then I thought "I'm not a petroleum engineer so what do I know?"... More than I realized apparently. In a recent piece at The Daily Beast, Christopher Brownfield points out that the Soviets have been using explosives for years as a way to deal with runaway oil wells. The same thing was also pointed out by Jeremy Hsu over at the Christian Science Monitor. And what actually prompted me to blog on this idea is the fact that this morning I heard someone call into a radio show and make the same suggestion. Especially given the failure of BP's previous attempts to stop the leak, and the fact that even the current attempt at a "solution" will actually increase the flow of oil into the Gulf in the short term, and will at best merely slow down the flow of oil until August, perhaps we should look at a more radical solution which could shut the well decisively. Now, I'm still not a petroleum engineer so I still can't say if this approach has a good chance of working or not. But I do hope that the idea is given due consideration based on the technical/scientific merits and a concern for the environment without any regard for BP's bottom line or future profits. The Christian Science Monitor: Why don't we just drop a nuclear bomb on the Gulf oil spill? Crooks and Liars: Is it time to blow up the leaking Gulf oil well? BP doing its best to keep that option under wraps The Daily Beast: Nuke the Oil Spill Arran's Alley: Is BP Trying to Save the Well Instead of the Gulf? BP Oil News: Nuke the Gulf oil spill, says expert NPR: Placing Blame For The BP Oil Spill

No comments: