Wednesday, May 10, 2006

as a black latina, where do i count?

Alternet: As a Black Latina, Where Do I Count? by Shana White is an older piece by a Black Nicaraguan woman who grew up in East Palo Alto, California. She starts off with the question:

When the U.S. Census recently reported that Latinos had replaced African-Americans as the largest minority in the United States, I wondered, "How can I replace myself?"

and then she goes on to talk about her personal and family experience between those "two" communities. If you are a frequent visitor to Planet Grenada you know I've definitely posted articles like this before... although this may be the first by an Afrolatina from a Central American-American (?) background.

1 comment:

Abdul-Halim V. said...

Yes. Sometimes people suggest that when races mix it will mean the end of racism, but in reality it just means things get more complex. Even if you did get to some equilibrium future where everyone looked kind of brown with medium curly hair, then folks would still find some other excuse to lynch other folks. (religion, language, ethnicity, etc.)

An experience which really tripped me out was when I went to a friend's wedding in Canada. One of the guests at my table was French Canadian and she was talking about her experiences growing up. It was the first time I heard a white person talking about being a victim of prejudice where I felt the person was being 100% sincere.